The Girl ;

astrogirl

Indulges In ;

Running
Travelling

Her Links;

MarathonGuide.com
Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon
Runner's World Magazine
RacingThePlanet
Seven Summits
Hillman Wonders of the World

The Credits ;

Images: 1
Brushes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Designer: purpl3d
Special Tnks to: Blogger, Blogskins

The Memories ;

December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
June 2007
July 2007


Her Tags ;



Tuesday, December 13, 2005

SCSM 2005

The day I’ve been training for months for is finally here. Will the training be sufficient? Will the weather be good? All questions point to THE question – Will I finish?

Work up at 3am. Got a call from Run3 shortly after – we had agreed to call each other in case we overslept. Had laid out everything the night before – my adidas red running top, adidas black running shorts, new balance coolmax socks, aasics dx trainer, timex triathlon ironman sleek 50-lap, new balance fuel belt, bib, chip. Everything set. Ate two pieces of bread with lots of peanut butter, a mug of hot honey, and prepared four mini bottles of endurance drink to go into my fuel belt.

Mum drove me and Mic there. Mic was doing the mini marathon and Mum was to be our supporter for the day. Had spent the previous evening going through with her the runspiration route, and planned how she could split her time between supporting her two precious daughters. She was supposed to meet me at the 14km point (Esplanade), go meet Mic when she finishes the mini, try to catch me again at the 24km point (Marine Cove Loop) and the 37km point (Geylang Road). Somewhere along, I’ll eat two bananas (can’t take powergel) and pass her my mini bottles to lessen the weight.

Met up with Run3, Taz, WS, SK, JM and Dasher at the Esplanade fountain slightly before 5am and we started warming up and stretching. I must have drunk too much water cos I had to go to the toilet 3 times! The portable toilets stink too but I guess there was nothing much more the organizers could have done. We all walked to the pens at about 5:45am. Wow, there were so many people! A record 6,000 people signed up for the full marathon this year (found out later about 12% were women so this means about 700 women, or nearly double that which signed up last year). We waited slightly behind the 5-5½ hr pacesetters. Run3 was running with Taz, while SK and JM were pacing me.

The Race


The gun went, the crowd cheered and we starting moving forward. No hurry, we have a few more hours before the end of the race. As soon as we crossed the starting line, WS took off. Good thing SK and JM were pacing me. My heart was beating fast and I was trying to fight the temptation to pick up speed. I know Taz must be trying to slow Run3 down too. Hehe strange how the gals are the ones raring to go - it's our virgin marathon after all. Guess the guys were all more experienced. We finished the first 2km in under 14 mins. Next 2km was slightly faster in about 13 mins. Good pace, not too fast or slow.

We U-turned somewhere along the 7km mark. As we were running back, we spotted some of the half marathon participants. Suddenly I heard someone shout “Shirley Lim!” turned my head and saw Sail waving at me. “Go Sing Ai!” I shouted back. A few more km later, we started seeing the 10kmers too. Suddenly saw Wei Li and shouted her name. She heard me and shouted back “Jia You!” SK and JM were like “Wow, supporters huh?” The atmosphere was quite electrifying.

Looked at my watch as we passed the 10km mark. 1 hr 10 mins. Not bad, but must keep it up. Passed the 14km point sometime around 7:30am. Did not manage to catch sight of Mum. Sigh, maybe we’ll have better luck later. One third of the run down, only two thirds more to go, I said to the guys. They smiled weakly at me…

Somewhere along the 16-17km point I lost them. Kept glancing back but did not see them at all. I carried on – maybe we’ll meet again along the way. This is how the marathon goes – you meet some friends, you run alongside them, but somehow everyone’s got to run their own race. Looked at the people running alongside me and tried to decide who would be a good pacer. Strangers become your friends too along the run. I had many runners who came up to me and said “You’ve done well. Don’t give up now.” Cheerleaders are important in a race – they give you a boost when you start to slag. One of the better ones I heard was this ang moh who went “No walking – Not allowed in Singapore”. Haha anything to break the momentum, especially when you are slipping into a trance. Other interesting things I saw along the way - guys wearing bras (in support of breast cancer), this guy holding on to a stalk of rose the whole run (was he using it to propose?), the blind half marathon winner being held on a piece of string by his guide - absolutely amazing.

Reached ECP before long. Have run this stretch numerous times. This is important in a race as the runner feels comfortable knowing exactly what to expect, how far one point is from another and whether there are slopes, shady spots etc. Checked my watch as I passed the 21km point. 2 hrs 25 mins. Faster than my half marathon timing last year. Good. Missed Mum at the 24km point again. Sigh, we have two more tries. Found a toilet along the way (most of the guys were just doing it by the roadside – this guy was absolutely time-efficient, he was drinking and peeing at the same time!). Sun was scorching my back by now. Suddenly spotted WS on the other lane. Wow, she must be like 5-6km ahead of me. She was looking strong too. Impressive.

Finally U-turned (somewhere along 26km – 27km mark). Yippee, finally on the way back. They were giving out powergels and bananas. Took a pack of powergel (in case I need later since I missed my bananas – dun ask me why I did not take the bananas, I dun really know either). Crossed the 28km mark. Two-thirds done and I’m still feeling strong. Suddenly saw Jason on the other lane. “Go Jason!”

On the way back from ECP to Esplanade, me and KC overtook each other many times (I overtook him 4 times and he overtook me 3 times). It was not a race between us as we were doing very different things. He walked a lot more than me, but was very much faster each time he started running so we’ll see each other every 2-3km. But somehow that added a different dimension to the race – it definitely provided extra motivation not to give up.

Spied Mic (found out later Mum was resting in the shade) and handed her two of my empty mini-bottles. Did not want to stop long for the bananas so went on. Spied the sgrunners support team after the 30km mark and left my fuel belt there (that was the plan). Felt A LOT lighter. Checked my watch and it was only about 3hr 35mins. Did some mental calculation. 1hr 25mins to cover another 12km for a sub 5hr timing. Seems plausible right? Let’s pick up the pace!

Had been sipping water and 100plus carefully for the last 30km but was feeling dehydrated at the 30km point and took too much 100plus. Not used to it (dun even take soft drinks or anything gassy usually) so started to feel pukish with all the gas from the 100plus. Did pretty well for the next 4km actually – average 2km timing was about 14mins. At the 35km however, my body went limp. I need energy badly… remembered too late the powergel and endurance drink were all left behind with my fuel belt at the sgrunners support table. Did not feel I could continue the 2km run-walk routine and made the decision to change to a 1km run-walk routine. The rule was that I could only walk at water points or after finishing each km. No unplanned walks. I saw the many runners sitting by the roadside stretching their muscles and those walking (most were walking by this time) and had to make rules so I could focus on keeping these promises to myself and not give up. Each km took much longer – about 8 mins each but I held on, even though my body felt like breaking.

Saw Mum and Mic as I turned into Geyland Road at the 37km back. Ate half a banana (now I know the importance of energy intake) and carried on. Only 5km more but how different a 5km this was. I had dreamt (yes, the naïve me) of running the entire 5km back but now all I concentrated on was finishing that 1km before taking a much needed walk. It takes all the discipline I have inside me to start running after every km but I managed to. (You won't believe the battles and negotiations that were going through my brain!) Passed KC for the final time after the 39km mark. Know now that as long as I stick to my 1km run-walk routine he is unlikely to overtake me again (if he had, I’m sure I would have chased him down till the very end…).

Had planned to run the last 2km non-stop but when I crossed the 41km
point knew this was not possible. I know – what’s 1.195km after 41km? But you will not say that when you see the number of runners sitting by the roadside massaging their thighs or calves. I took the much needed walk after the 41km point and took off. Did pick up speed a little – told myself I could do it, even if I collapse at the end. Felt this adrenalin surging through me. Legs suddenly feel lighter. As I rounded the corner (only 400km more) I started striding. From the 200m mark onwards there were signs every 25m. Just what I needed! I started sprinting. The same sense of exhilaration every time I race to the finishing point. The same thrill that runs through me for every runner I overtake. I ran hard, towards the roaring crowd, towards the finishing line, and towards the end of my race.

Learning Points:

  1. Must train more. Insufficient and inconsistent training, and ramped up too fast. Should do minimally two 30-km and one 35-km run next year, then maybe won’t hit wall at 35km.
  2. Powergels are important! WS took 3 powergels (said not enough), Run3 took two (said should have taken 3) and I only ate half a banana. No wonder no energy lah.
  3. Rehearse every part of the race in your mind. This includes ALL scenarios. Making decisions on the spot when you are brain dead is not the smartest thing to do. For instance the 100plus, the powergels/bananas, the last 7km.
  4. No Fuel Belt if you want photos. No one's going to take your photo when they can't read your bib no (which is blocked by your fuel belt). If you must, wear shades to look cool (lesson from PS).

Thank You

A big THANK YOU to all supporters and well-wishers. Hugs and kisses for Mum and Mic for braving the hot sun to be my logistics team. Special thanks to EH, Ed and Liz for turning up to support me at the finishing line and to KH for taking my photo as I approached finishing line (sorry for ignoring you but I was sprinting lah!). Thanks to all the familiar faces I saw along the way - when I saw you I got an extra boost. Big hugs to all my running kakis - without you guys all the training would not have been possible and I would not have completed the race the way I did. Love you all!

Dream It. Plan It. Do It.


Just The Girl @ 12/13/2005 06:29:00 PM