
Friday, May 12, 2006
Rest At Last but Knee Still DownIt's been nearly two months since I last blogged! Have been really busy at work and running errands for the family (mum and dad are overseas so have to be responsible for their admin stuff too), and neglected friends and family (some are really understanding, others not so). My fridge broke down and this caused quite a bit of distress. Am glad to say it's up and running again. At work, the major event we have been preparing for since Oct last year finally drew near and it was full steam from Apr onwards. Managed to sneak off for 5 days to Perth (Mic having hols!) and felt bad for the colleagues who had to cover me when I was gone. Hope I made up for it when I got back - worked late into the night almost everyday for the last two weeks, even on weekends and public hols. Everyone chipped in, even our support staff sacrificed their weekends. The spirit was terrific and we managed to pull the entire thing off, with lotsa funny stories to boot.Learnt a lot from my more experienced colleagues during the course of the event. I had hitherto been working on policy issues and my forte so far has been writing papers. The decision to join the new department was to work closer with industry and learn the various aspects of having to deal with demanding customers. Has been a rewarding experience so far - the interaction has taught me how much a person can contribute to his work is not just a matter of how good he or she is but also who he or she knows. The importance of networking and relationships. Being involved in this major event gave me the chance to deal with operational issues, including having to manage a team of about 30-40 peers. I wasn't perfect but believe I did relatively well. I'm confident of doing even much better if there were a similar event (but guess it'll be 12 years later before we will get to host the event again).My social life has almost disappeared for the last month. So much has happened to others. Mic is learning driving (both mum's auto and dad's manual) and I'll look forward to her picking me up from the airport the next time I visit them. A good friend is pregnant. Wow! Congrats! Now that work is back to normal, I'm trying to spice up my social life too. So this will be a busy long weekend - programmes lined up all the way. Many good movies and plays to catch over the next few weeks too!This is my running blog and the reason why it has been so quiet is that I haven't been doing much running! Disappointing but my knee is still down. The last time I tried running (about 2 weeks ago), my knee started hurting badly after 10mins (less than 2km). I stopped immediately but it hurt on and off for the next few days. Need to see a specialist but this is one of the things I'm bad at - I always procrastinate at seeing the doctor... The second half of the year is a busy one for runners so must really make sure I recover by then...Okay, hope it won't be too long to the next time I blog!
Just The Girl @
5/12/2006 11:28:00 AM